niedziela, 25 marca 2012

Example GRUB configuration for Porteus 1.1 - menu.lst - hdd frugal installation.

This information may prove useful if you want to install Porteus on your hdd in the Puppy Linux manner (frugal):

I have downloaded the Porteus *.iso file and extracted it to /porteus/ on my hdd.

Note that it creates a double path for accessing some porteus data, which has to be included in the following grub configuration. (This is the main mistake of poeole wanting to perform frugal installation of Porteus!)

Here it goes:

title porteus 1.1
kernel (hd0,0)/porteus/boot/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda1 from_dir=porteus/porteus ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw toroot autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 max_loop=256 changes=/mnt/sda1/porteus/porteus/notebook18.dat
initrd=(hd0,0)/porteus/boot/initrd.xz
boot


This is the entry in my menu.lst - I've created the data file named notebook18.dat

Of course I do not recommend using toroot cheatcode, however it is similar to Puppy Linux. (I'll delete or change it later).

1 komentarz:

  1. Hi, I'm a complete newbie to Linux and stumbled across your menu.1st for Porteus and it worked fine for running it from grub on my Windows 98 C: drive after copying the 2 folders (though I can't figure out how to save changes yet). Now I've tried to make a menu.1st for Porteus 1.2 and I can't get it to work though it was based on this menu.1st for version 1.1. When I get to the GUI it freezes. Any ideas you could give would be appreciated, I can't find any help for Win98 on the Porteus forum.

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...